Re: user traffic accounting

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 06:25:12PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> > http://user-mode-linux.sourceforge.net/
>
> i.e. basically vmware for linux-on-linux only (for now), and free...
>
> anyway, this is wicked, and i immediately want to give a virtual machine
> to every single one of my users. since i only have one IP (not true, but

I don't think this will work. I haven't used UML that much yet, but I
fear that you will not be able to run hundreds of UML's on a single
machine. You might be able to run 10 maybe 20 virtual linux-es on your
box, but it has a rather large overhead compared to a real box without
virtual linux boxes.

Yeah, it's really nice and secure to boot... but is the overhead and
administrative hassle worth it ??

Especially if you are going to be running bind9, apache, postfix and
whatnot in every VM you will be having all those processes in memory all
the time (without them sharing the memory they would usually do when
they were running on the same machine (real vs virtual).

Mark Janssen     Unix / Linux, Open-Source and Internet Consultant @ SyConOS IT
E-mail: mark(at)markjanssen.nl / maniac(at)maniac.nl     GnuPG Key Id: 357D2178
Web: Maniac.nl Unix-God.[Net|Org] MarkJanssen.[com|net|org|nl] SyConOS.[com|nl]