Re: Install on many machines

For our needs, FAI seems to be the more flexible solution.
Although the hardware is basically the same, it might
proof valuable to have several configurations to choose
from.

Anyone experience with FAI?

I've just set up a new woody machine and downloaded
the stuff. Still the docs get slightly confusing
after the very clear introduction.

For example, fai-setup throws *a lot* of dependency
warnings and complains about exim (which is not installed)

Cheers,
Marcel

Michael Wood <mwood@its.uct.ac.za> 3 Jan 2002, at 10:02:

> On Fri, Dec 28, 2001 at 10:35:57AM -0600, Gregory Wood
> wrote: > Assuming that the machines are basically the same
> -- I have > used Norton Ghost 2002. > > I loaded up Debian
> from CD, updated from the ftp site, > installed and
> configured my base packages. Then created a > ghost image
> (1. ghost works with lilo but not with grub 2. > I've left
> out a number of steps - I have several spare hard > drives
> and computers to work with) and burned it to a CD. > > As a
> test, I installed the ghost image on a couple of > different
> machines. It takes less than 10 minutes to restore > the
> ghost image. Next change the IP and host names and I was >
> done. [snip]
>
> Don't forget the SSH host keys...
>
> --
> Michael Wood <mwood@its.uct.ac.za>