Re: long email names

<quote who="Chris Zubrzycki">

> I have a customer who wants to host his own email server, and he wants
> to have long email addresses, like <firstname>.<lastname>@domain.com ,
> and map it to a local name that is less than 8 chars.

This is a sensible request...

> What is the best email server to do this kind of mapping?

But this is just emotional blackmail! ;)

Postfix has a very handy canonical_maps (also canonical_sender and
canonical_recipient maps) setting. It means that you can make the switcheroo
'at the border', both ways. So everyone sees 'jeff.waugh @ perkypants.org'
on the outside when you send, and it gets changed back to 'jdub @
perkypants.org' when mail comes in.

Just about every MTA will do similar, or a fairly close approximation,
though. (I'm just familiar and happy with postfix.)

- Jeff

--
  I wonder how many bugs have gone unfixed due to misspellings of "FIXME".