Re: Best way to duplicate HDs

<quote who="Jason Lim">

> > It's called RAID-1.
>
> I dunno... whenever I think of "RAID" I always think of live mirrors that
> operate constantly

That's what they do post-sync.

> and not a "once in a while" mirror operation just to
> perform a backup (when talking about RAID-1). Am I mistaken in this
> thinking?

That's what they do when they sync (in very rough terms).

> This would cause the 2 live HDs to be mirrored to the backups, and then
> disengage the 2 "backup" HDs so they aren't constantly synced.
>
> Would the above work? Sorry if I seem naive, but I haven't tried this
> "once in a while" RAID method before.

It's a dirty hack to make it do what you want it to, that's all. Russell's
solution was better, as at least you were getting the benefit of the running
mirror if a drive failed (and buying three disks is not expensive).

- Jeff

--
          "And up in the corporate box there's a group of pleasant
   thirtysomething guys making tuneful music for the masses of people who