Re: Best way to duplicate HDs

> > Except that I've pointed out already that we're specifically NOT
looking
> > at a live RAID solution. This is a backup drive that is suppose to be
> > synced every 12 hours or 24 hours.
> >
> > The idea being that if there is a virus, a cracker, or hardware
> > malfunction
>
> And if you discover this within 12 hours...  Most times you won't.

We've got file integrity checkers running on all the servers, and they run
very often (mostly every hour or so) so unless the first thing the cracker
does is to "fix" or disengage the checkers then we SHOULD notice this
within the 12 hours... or make that 24 hours to give a bit more leeway.

> > then the backup drives can be immediately pulled out and
> > inserted into a backup computer, and switch on to provide immediate
> > restoration of services (with data up to 12 hours old, but better than
> > having up-to-date information that may be corrupted or "cracked"
versions
> > of programs).
>
> If the drive is in the cracked machine then it should not be trusted.
If a
> drive is in a machine that has hardware damage then there's no guarantee
> it'll still have data on it...

Well, as said before, unless the cracker spends a considerable amount of
time learning the setup of the system, going through the cron files,
config files, etc. then hopefully there will be enough things set up that
the cracker will be unable to destroy or "fix" everything.

And regarding data loss, so far the most common thing for us is to have a
HD become the point of failure. We've had quite a few CPUs burn out too
(no bad ram yet, lucky...), but nothing except a bad HD has seemed to
cause severe data loss.