Re: LDAP as userdatabase for UNIX & W2k

On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 05:03:39PM +0200, Andreas Rabus wrote:

> That's what i'm recently thinking about a lot, too.
>
> The big Problem in my opinion is the use of an LDAP server to auth Windoze
> users.
>
> My direction is now using PAM and varius ldap modules with openldap for most
> of the Linux ware and pam_smb (or similar) for Windoze.
> Also Exchange is an poor LDAP server, so this could be a chance too.
> Netscape offers an tricky piece of software that transfers the Login
> Information of NT to an LDAP Server (didn't remember where to get it,
> sorry). Didn't  figure out yet how to use this yet, but there are already
> people using it. so it schould be manageable.
> As i understand it by now it uses a trick to capture the change of passwords
> and transmit them to an ldap server...
>
> i'd like to hear from people who have done s.th. like this already...

I was wondering something, wouldn't it be possible to use samba 2.2.0 for
password authentication for the w2k machines, and have samba do an ldap
lookup?? Maybe this could even be done by using pam (dunno how samba does
user authentication yet), else it wouldn't require much more than a bit
samba hacking (would have to look in to that).

That would remove the w2k problem, and only leave the question, if it's
clever to use ldap for global configurations.

I was thinking if anyone knows of any opensource projects addressing this
topic (an scalable hosting solution, allowing implementation of
web/mail/ssh/ftp hosting on both UNIX and w2k platforms)??

Cheers
Paul Fleischer / ProGuy