Re: Pop or Imap?

At 07:21 PM 12/7/2001 +1100, Jeremy Lunn wrote:
On Fri, Dec 07, 2001 at 08:13:26PM +1300, Michael Jager wrote:
> > I am concerned about pop passwords being transmitted plaintext. Does imap
> > encrypt passwords? if not does any protocol exists which does.
> APOP. I dunno how you get it or whatever, but I know it exists and passwords
> are encrypted (IIRC).

IIRC APOP uses challange response, requireing both ends to know the
password in cleartext.  Rather than sending the password as one string,
the server asks the client a few questions about the password that it
has.  AFAIK it is not possible to work out the password at all from
monitoring the network traffic.

I just checked my eudora and it seems to support APOP. Outlook express supports something called SPA does anybody know what that is?

             Tim Uckun
      Mobile Intelligence Unit.
   "There are some who call me TIM?"