Re: Moving mail spool into home directories

On Mon, Sep 10, 2001 at 04:44:26PM +0200, Russell Coker wrote:
> On Mon, 10 Sep 2001 06:10, Shane Wegner wrote:
> > I am looking at the possibility of moving the incoming
> > mailboxes on our server from /var/mail to a location
> > somewhere inside the user's home directory.  Reasons range
> I thought that was the standard practice, I've set up many dozens of servers
> in such a fashion running Maildir storage.

Actually I'd never seriously considered maildir storage.
Primarily because SendMail doesn't support it.  Though
other MTAs do, we're all familiar with SendMail here.  Am I
wrong about this?  Is there maildir support in SendMail?

> I suggest using Maildir storage.  Maildir is often much faster than mbox
> (especially for the POP "list" command and IMAP operations), and it's NFS
> safe and generally more resiliant than mbox.  Also the default location for
> Maildir storage is the user's home directory, so all the Maildir capable
> software will work well with this.

I'll definitely look into that.  It appears very promising.

Thanks for your help,
Shane

--
Shane Wegner: shane@cm.nu