Re: webmail

--On Wednesday, April 18, 2001 10:04 AM +0200 Przemyslaw Wegrzyn <czajnik@tower.t16.ds.pwr.wroc.pl> wrote:
On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, John Ackermann N8UR wrote:

> I want to recommend you IMP. You can set IMAP server on firewall and
> IMP/Horde.

I've been playing with SilkyMail (http://www.cyrusoft.com/silkymail),
which  is an enhanced version of IMP.  It's under the GPL, but Cyrusoft
are  offering commercial support packages for it.  I'm very impressed,
and  (under the right circumstances, which mine weren't) it's a snap to
build as  all the tools (apache, php, etc.) are included in the tarball
and a single  make command builds the whole environment.  Then you untar
the php files  into the htdocs directory, run a config script, and
you're in business.

I can't answer on how attachments are processed on receive/send. I have tried looking at Word documents using wvHtml and it seems to work OK, but I don't know what kind of load it puts on the server. By the way -- wvHtml handles more formats than the old mswordview, but still spits out quite a few error messages, and fails on some documents. It's still a whole lot better than nothing, though.

John
jra@febo.com