Re: gigE experiences?

> Anybody out there who has practical experience with gigabit ethernet
> on x86 architectures?
>
> Any recommendations like what nics to get/avoid? 3com, intel,
> syskonnect?

I have used the Intel PRO/1000F fiber NIC with success in several Dell
SMP machines.

The driver for Linux is available for download from Intel's site and
works fine with 2.2.x and 2.4.x, although I never *really* stressed the
card.

Several drawbacks are:
 - You can only compile the driver as a module
 - You need to compile the driver on its own *after* you have made your
kernel and booted the machine with the kernel that matches your current
kernel source. This get to be a pain, particularly on a production
machine.

Pete

--
http://www.elbnet.com