Re: Auto 10/100Mb card fallback from 100 to 10 on 100Mb network

On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 10:21:21PM -0600, Nate Duehr wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 16, 2001 at 04:25:14AM +0800, Jason Lim wrote:
> > port after around 5-10 minutes, and said it shut the port down due to
> > "conflict". Thats it. Thats all it said (oh how helpful). This is a Cisco
> > switch btw.
>
> Can you just set the Cisco to not auto-negotiate and force the issue
> from the switch instead of from the node?

Cisco switches in the 2900 series (2924XL, 2948G3), and the Catalyst 6500
series have a common issue where they'll autonegotiate the wrong DUPLEX,
which leads to slow communications speeds, and eventual erroring out.
(I don't blame this on the switch, it's just the best and most logical
place to concentrate all your 'hard settings').

Make sure you've got full duplex on each side (from the switch's
perspective and the client NIC).

I ALWAYS force the issue, with the "speed 100" and "duplex full" commands,
directly on the switch, and only change from that when required (ie a
10baseT device).

It is always a poor idea leave too many things in "auto configure", be
they switch ports, ip address assignments, budget variances, employer
relations, choices for lunch, coffee vendors, etc.

--
Ted Deppner
http://www.psyber.com/~ted/