Re: Streaming Video

I have some experience doing this, so here goes:

1.) you need some kind of encoding equipment. This will depend on the quality of video you want to stream, the format, and the bandwidth available. For example, if you want to do real-time streaming, you need HARDWARE encoding. Software encoding is just not fast enough for real-time streaming. A word to the wise...real-time capture-streaming is EXPENSIVE! As far as hardware suggestions go, I recommend either the Minerva box (a network appliance), or the Optibase cards.

2.) You need to pick a streaming media server (software). The realmedia streamer is free for demo, but the quality of realmedia is somewhat lacking, as I'm sure you know. This may however, be a viable option depending on bandwidth. If you want to stream mpeg or mpeg2, you are going to shell out some major cash for the software.

3.) Storage will be important. You will need a bit of storage if you want to archive anything. Even if you don't want to archive, encoding-streaming will take up a chunk of space on a fast disk set as temporary files are created dynamically. This being said, you are also going to have to have a dedicated server to stream. The system requirements for a streaming server are a lot higher than you might expect. The streaming server will choke, wheeze, gag, and otherwise be unhappy if you are doing ANYTHING else on it. Yes, this is regardless of the OS.

4.) I recommend you contact SICORP. I worked for them previously as a tech, and they do know what they are talking about. You want to contact JD. Try him at jd@si-corp.com. If you need further contact info, I can provide it, you just have to tell him that Jeff send you ;-)

Regards,
Jeff