Unidentified subject!

hi,

I'm not really familiar with the more obscure intricacies of unix networking... well, that is if this even really counts as obscure to some of you.. my problem is that i have a number of debian servers connected to the net via a T1. i would like all of these servers to share a rack of NAS (network attached storage) appliances. The problem I see in considering something like this is that traffic between the NAS and the servers would saturate the network and slow things down considerably. Is it possible to set up a second network (via two ethernet cards in all of the servers) that runs independantly of the primary network? Is this even a good idea? I was thinking that isolating data transfers to a dedicated network would help alleviate traffic on the front-side network. Something like how a SAN works except without all the proprietary hardware and software =). If it is possible (and even a remotely good idea) how would I configure routing, addresses, NFS, etc? I've never worked with a disconnected network before, so I don't know what rules change and how the IPs are set up, etc.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

ryan