Re: Corrupt mail-spool files

On 2000-10-18 16:08, Jarle Aase wrote:
>I'm having some problems with the mail spool files on some servers I
> maintain. The pop3 server lists a wrong number of messages, and sometimes
> MS Outlook "freeze" when downloading mail (probarby because it don't get
> the terminating . when it expects it).
>
>I'm using the latest Debian Potato and sendmail/qpopper. I've also installed
> qpopper 3.1 on one machine to see if it was able to fix the problems. I've
> not seen any new problems on this machine yet - but it don't seem to
> recover corrupted spoolfiles.
>
>Is there any utilities that can scan and fix the spoolfiles in
> /var/spool/mail ?

I recommend that you do the following:

1)  Use procmail for local delivery.
2)  Convert mailboxes to ~/Maildir/ format.
3)  Use either the Qmail POP server or the Solid POP server (which both
support Maildir).

Then most types of corruption will be impossible (the distinction between
where one message ends and the next starts is very clear when it's 1 file per
message).  Any corruption will be very minor and not affect operation of the
program.