Re: transparent accounting system

On Tue, 17 Oct 100, Allen Ahoffman wrote:

> I'm looking for any new info on instructions on how to set up a
> transparent ip accounting system.
> e.g.
> sits between rouer or anything and a pile of servers and just counts
> everything.
> and will tkae 100mbps traffic reliablly.

You can check out something called 'fipra'... Me and a friend wrote that
to log ip traffic into an mysql database at high speeds.. It can handle
thousands of ip's at at least 60Mbs reliably, all really depending on the
speed of the machine it's running on. It's in two parts, one kernel patch
and one daemon pushing the data to the sql server. Currently it only
handles ipv4, a new version is coming in a while.

You can find it at http://www.umplug.org/fipra, or if that site is
down just search on the net for it.

Hope this can help.

Regards
Roger Abrahamsson

Roger Abrahamsson, Sys/Net Admin, Obbit AB
Radhusespl.17D, S-90328 Umea, Sweden