Re: disappearing resolv.conf

 * On Wednesday 27 September, Web Administration account wrote:

> I have this weird, intermittent problem with my /etc/resolv.conf . It seems
> to just not exist at odd intervals. Its a simple fix but it sux to have to
> cp the backup into place when we start getting "can't locate blah" errors.
> Its on a box running Woody. It was last updated about a week ago. Its
> running bind 8.2.2p5-11.  We use it as a dialup gateway and LAN forwarding
> nameserver so it causes all manner of problems re DNS locally.
>
> Any ideas about how or why this is happening?

I'm suppose you're using PPP and pppconfig for the dialup connection.
If so, check your pppconfig setup for that connection. Make sure that
"Nameservers" (advanced options) is set to "None". If set to "Dynamic"
or "Static", a script in /etc/ppp/ip-up.d messes with your resolv.conf
when the connection comes up. Likewise, a script in /etc/ppp/ip-down.d
messes with it when the connection is brought down. Note that the latter
script is also run at boot time from /etc/init.d/dns-clean.

I haven't really had problems with the way this works, but in your
particular situation this might cause problems.

HTH,
-Jaap