Re: whois *server*?

..
>A search around failed to turn up an obvious whois server, either as part
>of Debian or even just source code - did I miss something?
..

Neale;

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for, but I modified the
finger gateway cgi script to do a web based whois from cgi-bin on the
webserver.

The finger gateway script came in the cgi scripts with Debian. I just
changed finger to whois. seems to work well.

Here it is:

<---begin script-->
#!/bin/sh
# I don't know who wrote the "finger gateway" script I hacked this from
WHOIS=/usr/bin/whois

echo Content-type: text/html
echo

if [ -x $WHOIS ]; then
        if [ $# = 0 ]; then
                cat << EOM
<HTML><HEAD><TITLE>WHOIS Gateway</TITLE></HEAD><BODY>
<H1>Whois Gateway</H1>

<ISINDEX>

This is a gateway to "whois". Type a domain name in your
browser's
search dialog.<P>
EOM
        else