Re: Frozen Messages (Exim)

On Fri, 31 Mar 2000, Fraser Campbell wrote:

> tps@major.pita.org wrote:
>
> > 39d  2.1K 12Mc06-0006sT-00 <> *** frozen ***
> >           ptc@mauimail.com

> manpage so I didn't know what it could do until now.  Isn't there a way to
> force exim to automatically clear these messages from the queue with a
> failure message to the postmaster.  I've never had to manually remove
> queued messages on sendmail boxes, it is rather tedious ... especially over
> the 56k connection I'm working on right now.

Instead of receiving emails for failed deliveries, I just have a daily
eximstats report and I have the mailq emailed to me once per day. This
tells me which messages are frozen. (Receiving two emails is a lot better
to me than receiving numerous -- sometimes thousands -- emails.)

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.10/doc/html/spec_50.html#IDX1786

> So is there a way to automatically fail messages to postmaster once
> delivery has been given up on?

I use "auto_thaw" and my frozen messages are removed according to the
retry configuration. So in other words: I do not do anything.

http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.10/doc/html/spec_3.html#IDX37
http://www.exim.org/exim-html-3.10/doc/html/spec_31.html#IDX1515

(By the way... "frozen" is not mentioned in http://www.exim.org/FAQ.html.
Seems like it should be.)

  Jeremy C. Reed
     BSD software, documentation, resources, news...
     http://bsd.reedmedia.net