Re: forcing pppd to dial even on a different tone

This is not a ppp issue, but a modem config parameter.  Most modems, try

ATX0 or ATX1

See the modem manual, check for either "blind dial", or a table which lists
the various values that ATX can take.  You want the value that does _not_
report "NO DIAL TONE".