From: Tomasz Papszun [mailto:tomek@lodz.tpsa.pl]
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 1999 9:29 AM
To: Don Hatch
Cc: debian-isp@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: Weirdness with vi

On Tue, 30 Nov 1999 at  8:46:40 -0700, Don Hatch wrote:

> I've never seen this one before so I would really appreciate any help I
can get.  My users can't seem to be able to get vi to work.  If I use it
as root it works but when run as a user I get this error:

> ex/vi: Error: Log file: Permission denied
>
> I've never seen this before, and can't figure out which log file it's
referring to.  Any help is appreciated.

Maybe permissions for directory  /var/tmp/vi.recover  are incorrect.
They should be
drwxrwxrwt   2 root     root

i.e. with "sticky bit" (marked with "t").

P.S. Please, shorten the lines in your mail messages. Currently they are
far too long. According to the Netiquette they should _not_ exceed about
74 characters (before quoting).

--
 Tomasz Papszun   SysAdm @ TP S.A. Lodz, Poland  | And it's only
 tomek@lodz.tpsa.pl   http://www.lodz.tpsa.pl/   | ones and zeros.