Re: IMAP Experiences.

I use Cyrus extensively, and yes, it uses its own database.  However, it
works very well with shell acounts anyways, you just have people configure
their shell email client (granted it doesn't work with mail) to use IMAP
to localhost.

The advandages of having it with its own database far outweigh the extra
hassle of using IMAP on the shells.  The mbox format is prone to
corruption and slowness, and uses a lot of memory, while cyrus seems
fairly efficent (while pine becomes unusable at more than a few thousand
messages with the standard mail spool, I have had 30k messages in a folder
with cyrus and pine using IMAP, and while slow, it was usable).

Charlie