Re: Huge email service

At 01:42 AM 11/24/99 -0300, Baltazar Quinterno wrote:
>There is an idea in owr govermment that every argentinian
>must have its own pop account.
>This has been approved by law, and As I work in a provider with
>chances of building this i like to have more opinions
>in how to handle this.
>But i belive that in the supposed server accounts will
>be used in average 2 or 3 times per week.

Well hurray for the Argentinians!  That actually makes the problem much much
simpler.  You can break it down by region and city so you won't have to
worry about terabyte RAID's. :)  Give them accounts of the form
user@city.region.ar.  Each city could be served by a reasonably sized
SMTP/POP farm of a few servers.  You mentioned that now you manage 25,000
accounts, all you would have to do is duplicate that same setup a few times
over for each city.  The whole thing would form a inner core/outer
core/inter core architecture.  I can't draw that in ASCII but if you want I
could make a gif file and send it to you.  How many city-regions are there
in Argentina?  All you need to make this work is a lot of routers and R-R
DNS, NFS, and rsync.

--