Re: How to limit it ?

* Grzegorz Pawel Szostak said:

> > > etc..  like it is discribed in limits man page (man limits) but use
> > > lowercase instead uppercase.
> > Partial solution. Don't assume the entire world uses bash.
> ...but if you place in /etc/passwd at shell place /bin/bash or
> /bin/lshell/bash it will work always ? Am i wrong ?
I don't understand what you mean? Is it that you want to force every user to
use bash? Well, you can, but they have the right to change their shells.
Playing BOFH is not always justified :))

> > > I think theres no information about it in the Internet.
> > About 'ulimit'? 'man bash' or 'help ulimit' on bash prompt - everything's
> > there.
> Yes, there are information... my man db has had problem - now it is solved
> :)
:)))) For 'help ulimit' you don't need mandb :)

> > Another option for you is to use the glibc's database feature. Take a look
> > at the /var/lib/misc/ directory. Run 'make' in that directory and you will
> > have a bunch of .db files that contain exactly the same what /etc/passwd
> > /etc/group and the likes. The NSS library can be configured to use these
> > files first so that, theoretically, you can 'chmod 600 /etc/{passwd,group}'
> > and setup a cronjob that will remake the database every hour or so, and
> > remember to remake the database every time you add a new user :)).
> ... partial sollution ;) i have a lot of job. Better is to write module or
Why a partial solution? If you use adduser, then create
/usr/local/sbin/adduser.local script that invokes 'make -C /var/lib/misc',
setup a crontab and forget about the thing...

> patch kernel sources, just rewrite open(..)function code :)
> Any one can do this ?
What for? kernel implements everything you need (man setrlimit), you just
need a program to set the limits for you. Test the debian/potato PAM - it
does it allright.

marek