Re: IPv6 support in d-i

On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 01:30:39PM +0200, Florian Lohoff wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 08, 2012 at 11:21:01AM +0200, Bastian Blank wrote:
> > > But I can not get a IPv6 capable mirror.  I have tried <http.debian.net>
> > > without success.
> > You can use DNS64/NAT64 to access IPv4 destinations, you will need to
> > make this possible for some years anyway.
> NAT64 breaks to much stuff - My humble guess working for ISPs and
> dealing with IPv6 introduction is that we will see DualStack "forever"
> with RFC1918 adresses and NAT44 ...

Probably not RFC1918 addresses, but CGN ranges. And it's probably DNS64 which
breaks "stuff", rather than NAT64. There's also an effort in the IETF to spec
out 464XLAT, which will help the remaining cases of old software / network
stacks.

But as Bastian said, and which you ignored, there's DS-lite for tunneling of
IPv4 over IPv6 to the provider. Which is not exactly NAT44.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern