RE: ipv6 stateless autoconfiguration failing

Good point:
After almost a day the timers for the "old" ipv6 are:
       valid_lft 2510166sec preferred_lft 522966sec

> > But it's not the correct one
> > anymore. The dynamic ip of me isp interconnection changed and so the
> /48
> > subnet that I could use via 6to4 tunneling.
> >
> > Router still sends the RA's with the correct prefix but debian just
> ignores
> > them!
>
> I expected this. An RA is accepted at startup, then something happens
> and further RA's are ignored.
>
> > linux:~# cat /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/all/forwarding
> > 1
> >
> > And then I changed the value to "0"
> >
> > The interface took immediately the new ipv6 address. Ok, it hasn't
> released
> > the old one but at least it took the new one and was able to ping
> > ipv6.google.com again.
> >
> > It's just odd because I remembered checking that value previously and
> find
> > it "0".
>
> When was "previously" ?

I can recall when exactly was that previously but I am afraid that it was
before installing quagga!

> > I didn't change it because the box only has one ipv6 enabled
> > interface so ipv6 forwarding is not an issue. I have no idea how the
> value
> > was set to "1"
>
> Maybe the routing daemon enabled IPv6 forwarding. In previous Debian
> releases, the radvd startup script enabled it if it was disabled.

That's exactly was is happening. When quagga is restarting both values for
forwarding (ipv4 and ipv6) are set to "1". And that happens even if ospf6d
is disabled. Still when you restart the routing suite the values are set to
"1" and autoconfiguration fails!