Re: current state of IPv6 support in Debian

Also, please note, I've summarised the discussion so far on:

  http://wiki.debian.org/ReleaseGoals/FullIPv6Support

To see all the bugs in the BTS tagged with ipv6 go to:

http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?which=tag&data=ipv6&archive=no

I've had a quick skim and a bunch of the apps that have been raised so
far are *not* in that list.

On Sat, 2009-08-29 at 11:57 -0600, Dave Taht wrote:

> Thanks for that tip. OSX broadcasts mdns on ipv6 by default, which was
> once a source of great puzzlement to me. Trying that change
> now... fiddling with avahi...

Cool, good luck.  I spent a frustrating few hours trying to get this
working.

> To add to the broken on ipv6 list - the "finger" command lacks support
> on ipv6.
>
> It did have patches for ipv6 back in the early 00s, but the patches were
> not carried forward. The Cfingerd daemon claims support for ipv6, but
> lacking a client to test it with...

Has the finger app really changed that much?  If we can track down the
patches it shouldn't be that hard to apply them.  In fact, finger is
such a simple protocol it should be pretty straight forward to write
them from scratch.

To test Cfingerd out do:

  telnet ::1 79

And type in your username and <enter><enter>.  (I wrote a simple finger
server for use at work...)

Cheers!

--
Andrew Ruthven