ipv6 module autoloading/preloading (Was: Configuring both ipv4 and ipv6 with ifupdown)

On Mon, Jan 15, 2007 at 10:53:23PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:
>> I think the ipv6 addresses in /etc/hosts similarly could only be
>> automatically added on new installs.

> Yes, which suggests that adding ipv6 to /etc/hosts is not the best
> solution to this problem. An alternative, for example, would be to have
> ifup make sure it was loaded before upping an inet6 address.

Indeed, that's a better idea. I wasn't in favour of it earlier, but I
can't for the life of me remember why that was.

It prolly should be modprobing net-pf-10, so we don't pull it in if the
admin's specifically disabled it. Although I dunno how best to
communicate back to the admin that they're ifuping an inet6 interface
but have disabled pf 10... So that might not be such a good idea.

> >> (Also, rootskel has nothing at all to do with /etc/modules, and loop is
> >> not listed in /etc/modules on newly installed systems.)

>> Weird. My recently-built-from-etch-installer-server got the loop module
>> in its /etc/modules, and I didn't put it there.

> The loop module is added in some cases if you use an encrypted filesystem.

Weird. I didn't do any encrypted filesystems... In fact, I don't recall
even going with LVM.

I wonder if I dipped into the encrypted filesystem setup and then
changed my mind...

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson@Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/