Re: [Solved/is it a RC bug?] Re: Configuring both ipv4 and ipv6 with ifupdown

On Sat, Jan 13, 2007 at 08:47:31PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Paul TBBle Hampson wrote:
>> The best place for it is prolly /etc/modules, created by
>> debian-installer during the insatll. Rootskel contains the file, and
>> hw-detect populates it. (Or so it seems)
>>
>> So I'd put it as a bug against rootskel, so it can be default
>> installed like 'loop' appears to be...

> That doesn't seem very appropriate as it would only address the issue on
> newly installed systems, leaving upgraded systems unfixed.

I'm not sure you can really do much for newly-installed systems...

I think the ipv6 addresses in /etc/hosts similarly could only be
automatically added on new installs.

I could be wrong about that though.

> (Also, rootskel has nothing at all to do with /etc/modules, and loop is
> not listed in /etc/modules on newly installed systems.)

Weird. My recently-built-from-etch-installer-server got the loop module
in its /etc/modules, and I didn't put it there.

On the other hand, it's ipv6 interfaces are brought up by static inet6
stanzas in /e/n/interfaces (and one by tspc) and it hasn't needed to
have ipv6 modprobed by hand at all.

Anyway, I must have seen /etc/modules.conf in rootskel and
brainfarted... So maybe hw-detect?

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, B.Sc, LPI, MCSE
On-hiatus Asian Studies student, ANU
Paul.Hampson@Pobox.Com

Of course Pacman didn't influence us as kids. If it did,
we'd be running around in darkened rooms, popping pills and
listening to repetitive music.
 -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/