Re: Is there agreement on ddns (or any such) with autoconfigured hosts?

On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 03:53:21PM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:

>     Jeroen> What is the exact problem, as I am missing a large detail of
>     Jeroen> it :) The above skips the DHCP server.
>
>   Random clients do not have a trust relationship with the owner of the
> reverse zone.
>   (consider laptops that show up at an IETF)

The fascination with reverse lookups baffles me.

>   In IPv4 with DHCP, we solve this by giving the DHCP *server* a trust
> relationship with the owner of the reverse zone. (And DHCPv4 can be
> secured, and can even be secured for random clients)
>
>   In IPv6, if we used DHCPv6 (not very popular yet), we can replicate
> the model. If we are using RS/RA, then we have to find a way for the RS
> to have a trust relationship with the owner of the reverse zone. That
> part is easy --- the question is how does the RS even know about the new
> clients?

Or not.  If all of that is important, IMHO, DHCP is the way to go.
Nothing worse that what we've always had.

I'm thinking about attaching a printer and making it available as
nice-laser-printer.mynet.org or just nice-laser-printer.