Re: Routing with 6to4 *and* a tunnel

On Mon, Jun 27, 2005 at 02:33:15PM -0400, Michael Richardson wrote:

>     Marc> How does listening to BGP help you?  If you have to push data through
>     Marc> the tunnel, doesn't HE have to perform the routing for you?
>
>   BGP tells me what data should go through the tunnel to HE.
>   That also means that you won't send data to HE that they can't deliver.
>
>   I also have tunnels to some other sites (that I manage), which also do
> IPv6, and also have tunnels to HE, so I let BGP pick the right route.

Let me understand this correctly: this strategy works *because* you
use 6to4 addresses on your workstations.  I suppose it would also work
if you used the /64 address block allocated by HE (or some other
delegated tunnel broker network), but that would mean packets would
return through the tunnel instead of through the IPv4 network.