Re: Faure is back..

On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> UltraSPARC is funny because it has a 64bit kernel and a 32bit userland.
> When an address is passed between them it gets realigned and such. This
> primarily seemed to effect ioctls and netlink, so alot of the
> route/address control stuff just didn't work right.

Yeah, I forgot about that.  UltraSPARC is unique in that respect (at least
for now...mips64 may join them soon, though).  Alpha is 64bit userland and
kernel, so I'm thinking that, if the userland->kernel conversion is the
problem, then Alpha may not experience breakage wrt IPv6.

FYI, also, Alpha is *MUCH* pickier about alignment and typing issues than
just about any other architecture that I've ever worked on (except the
old Crays, which used procs similar in many ways to Alpha anyway), so I
suspect that, even if we had a problem, it would be much easier to detect
even a subtle breakage.  I'll keep my eyes out for related patches on the
kernel list and will go back through my linux-kernel archives to see if I
see anything resembling this kind of issue.

> DaveM was supposidly looking into it and I saw some patches from him in
> the change logs a bit ago..

Ah, ok...let me know (or really us, since I know that other Alpha folk are
starting to experiment with IPv6 now) when/if you find out any more
details.

Thanks...