maintainer communication (was Re: Debian kernel regression, was Re: Modernizing a Macintosh LC III)

Dixi quod…

>Hi $maintainer,
>
>can we still get CONFIG_EARLY_PRINTK=y and
>CONFIG_SERIAL_PMACZILOG=n into 3.12 before it hits unstable?

This was, of course, not integrated into src:linux before the
3.12.6-1 upload. (Which by the way autobuilt, meaning we have
build logs ☻ instead of me building it in cowbuilder manually
on a – possibly faster – VM.)

The request to the GCC maintainer to somehow make autoconf
regenerate some more configure scripts, to fix the -fpic/-fPIC
problem, was, of course, also not integrated.

I think we need to file bugs in the BTS for each of these
instances in the future, instead of trying to communicate
with the maintainers directly. I hate it, because I like to
talk to humans more, and some people on the Debian side hate
it too (“because debports is not Debian”), but… *shrug*.

Tell me if you have a better idea. Or anything else to comment
on this matter.

To clarify: this is *not* intended to make package maintainers
show in a bad light, rather the contrary, trying to improve
things. I can understand that things that are not in the BTS
are likely to be forgotten (in fact I forgot a suggestion how
to do/fix something too, due to falling ill last week and not
writing it down e.g. in the bug).

Thanks,
//mira“still on antibiotics but recovering”bilos
--
<diogenese> Beware of ritual lest you forget the meaning behind it.
<igli> yeah but it means if you really care about something, don't