Debian on Integrity VM

Hi there,

I've got a zx6000 workstation at home with HP-UX 11.31 and Integrity VM
B.04.30. I want to play with Linux VMs, so I decided to install Debian.

Turned out I was in for a bumpy ride.

I created the VM with a minimum of devices - one disk device (adapter type
"scsi", backing storage "lv"), one dvd device (adapter type "scsi", backing
storage "file") and one network adapter. This gave me the following view:

	[Storage Interface Details]
	Guest                                 Physical
	Device  Adaptor    Bus Dev Ftn Tgt Lun Storage   Device
	======= ========== === === === === === ========= =========================
	dvd     scsi         0   0   0   1   0 file      /data/iso/debian-7.1.0-ia64-netinst.iso
	disk    scsi         0   0   0   2   0 lv        /dev/vg00/rVMLINUX-DISK01

	[Network Interface Details]
	Interface Adaptor    Name/Num   PortNum Bus Dev Ftn Mac Address
	========= ========== ========== ======= === === === =================
	vswitch   lan        public     1         0   1   0 56-9b-21-03-77-d7

As you can see, I used the debian 7.1.0 ia64 netinstall iso. This failed
miserably - I selected "boot from file" and the elilo.efi loaded; when
selecting any option (normal or expert install) the following happens:

	Uncompressing Linux... done

	**** Dumping Guest Image ****
	**** Done with dump (3776Kbytes) ****

	*** VM restarting ***

So the installer never makes it.

Next, I swapped the 7.1.0 iso for the 6.0.7 one. Selected elilo.efi, selected
"Expert install"; the installer loads (huzzah) but cannot find its own cdrom or
disk. Looks like the driver is missing?

Finally, I swapped the 6.0.7 iso for the 5.0.10 one (yes, ancient!). Using
archive.debian.org as a source this did boot and install fine, and works as it
should.

Dist-upgrading this VM from 5.0.10 to 6.0.7 apparently works - the upgrade
process doesn't complain. Until you reboot, and get stuck at "waiting for root
device", which eventually fails. More or less expected, but still.

Long story short... ever since 5.0.10, debian seems to be unable to boot on
IVM. Is this a known issue? Is there a workaround? Is there any outlook on
getting this to work again? It's a bit sad that IA64 is an officially supported
port for Debian, but it apparently hasn't been able to install in one of the
major virtualization products on the platform since ages.

Thanks!

Lennert