Re: call for ports to begin using 2.4.0 headers for glibc

On Mon, Jan 15, 2001 at 11:05:39PM -0500, Ben Collins wrote:
> Well, the big deal is that to enable LFS on glibc, it must be compiled
> against 2.4.0 headers. This does not break when running on 2.2.x
You mean we have to make binNMUs of glibc? Or will you make a new upload
which explicitly requests kernel-headers 2.4.0?

> arch I build myself). I would like all other archs to follow suit
> (whoever builds glibc for that particular arch), even if it means using
> local 2.4.0 source (and not something in the archive) so long as you
> plan to fill this gap once a 2.4.0/2.4.1 source is available in sid.
Right now I only see this in the pools: kernel-image-2.4.0-test11-i386
There isn't an official 2.4.0 source yet in the archive?
Besides, we could probably build kernel-images for 2.4 on m68k, but they do
not work so well yet (at least on my box the IDE driver is not yet working,
rendering the kernel useless for me). Do you want those in the archive? But
who cares, I even uploaded xfree4.0 now to make the archive happy...

> with ppc, i386 and sparc. Any other ports that want me to keep them in sync,
> feel free to donate h/w.
How about using debian funds to pay that hardware? I only have one m68k
machine, I am not sure if I want to donate that one to you, I could not work
for m68k anymore then.
Or maybe get it donated by somebody else, and not necessarily by a
developer, after all I am "donating" quite a lot already. IMHO.

Christian
--
First they ignore you. Then they laugh about you. Then they fight you.
And then you win. [Mahatma Gandhi]