Re: Let's move to ddtp.debian.org - mail interface

The email was always the weak spot in the system, it collects a lot of spam. As for not getting responses, no doubt the sending of email is broken in some way? Or perhaps it was disabled because it it was generating a lot of backscatter from the spam.

Have a nice day,

On 6 December 2017 at 04:43, Martin Eberhard Schauer <Martin.E.Schauer@gmx.de> wrote:
> What about mail interface? Does somebody still using it?
> Do we need it?

Please don't skip the mail interface. It is very helpful for understaffed "teams" like the german one (basically me).

I don't use the mail interface to get new work to translate. I use it for trivial changes in my point of view.

Over all, i think that the mail interface is a powerful tool, but dangerous as well. $(random contributor) has direct access without review. Perhaps the access to it should be coupled to a DDTP account.

A nice feature before the move to ddtp2.debian.net was the automatic answer to submissions. It showed errors in the files submitted and contained a direct link to the new database entry. At present one has to open the web interface to check whether the translation made it into the DB and if the encoding is ok. According to file(1) I send "UTF-8 Unicode English text, with very long lines". Sometimes I forget to change "Description-de:" to "Description-de.UTF-8:" and get garbage. The mail digestion routine relys on this instead of checking the file type of the attachment.

Beatrice, Joe, Helix84; Martijn: I'm very interested in your opinion.

--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> http://svana.org/kleptog/