Best practices for i18n manpages with po4a?

Hello,
for the packages I maintain I use po4a to translate the man pages
(which works really nice, btw.). Up to now, the number of languages I
had translations for was rather low, so I simply added the required
commands in debian/rules. Now I receive more and more translations
(thanks to all involved) which each require a two lines along
        cd $(MANDIR) && po4a-updatepo -f man -m asclock.man -p asclock.xx.po
        cd $(MANDIR) && po4a-translate -k 20 -f man -m asclock.man -p asclock.xx.po -a asclock.xx.add -l asclock.xx.man

Is there some "best practices" around for dealing with translation of
man page in debian/rules? I know I can built some custom rules, but
before reinventing the wheel I thought I ask here because this is
probably solved already in a generic and nice way. And simply dropping
the translation in debian/manpages without needing to fiddle with
debian/rules sure would be nice :-))

Thanks & Greetings

          Helge

P.S. I checked with the man pages for po4a, but couldn't find
     anything, and the approach used in dpkg uses autoconf which is
     IMHO overkill for debian/rules.