Re: UDD gatherer for DDTP translations (Was: Extended descriptions size)

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 9:47 PM, Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> wrote:
> On Wed, 1 Apr 2009, Goswin von Brederlow wrote:
>
>> Then the version number will not be needed when an arch lags
>> behind. The translation for the old md5sum can just be kept.
>
> Well, this thread was missused to discuss several issues. Would you mind
> reading my original posting why version numbers
> in Translation files make sense and would you please base your arguing on
> this posting.  Perhaps I'm just wrong but version
> numbers are really handy in this case and I see an extra benefit
> in making these files somehow human readable (in the sense that
> I doubt you are able to calculate md5sums manually to find out
> the matching description.

While I'm not against the idea of version numbers (though it would
have to be a list since a single translation may apply to dozens of
versions) it's not that hard to identify the description you want.
What I often did was simply open up the description file to find the
description I wanted to test, cut and paste it into another console
running md5sum and that would be the md5 I needed to look for.

Have a nice day,
--
Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@gmail.com> http://svana.org/kleptog/