Re: Ideas wrt debconf templates checks

Hi,

On Thu, 2008-07-03 at 07:03 +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> 1) Checking if a declared template is still used
>
> Sometimes, maintainers rewrite maintainer scripts and remove the use a
> a given debconf template but do not think about dropping it from
> debian/*templates. It therefore clutters the debconf database and adds
> extra useless work to translators.
>
> Would a check for such situation be feasible, reasonable, in your
> opinion ?
> Does it already exist ? :-)

As far as I can see, such a test does not currently exist. It would be
fairly simple to add, assuming that the following methodology would make
sense (on a per-binary package basis):

for each of config, preinst, postinst, prerm, postrm
	find uses of db_input, db_get, db_set and record
	  the associated question name

for each template in templates
	check name against the list from step 1

Adam