Re: Standard way to mention copyright holder in PO files

Helge Kreutzmann <debian@helgefjell.de> wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 08, 2007 at 09:57:53AM -0500, Ming Hua wrote:
> > Yes I have heard about this.  Does that mean public domain is not a
> > really valid concept in such countries?  (I realize this is a legal
> > quesiton and is probably off-topic on debian-i18n.)
>
> Yes. There is no public domain in Europe. [...]

Hello debian-i18n, this is England calling!  As I understand it, we
have a public domain (so the above "there is no public domain in
Europe" is not true, same as the cannot-assign-copyright is not true
in all Europe), but there is no tried-and-tested current way to put a
work into the public domain (in the copyright sense) - we have to wait
for copyright to expire, so much of what else was written is true.

> But I guess this thread rather belongs to debian-legal.

If you ask debian-legal, please ask specific questions, such as which
packages are involved and where the various parties live, as the
answers on this do vary...

Regards,
Experienced webmaster-developers for hire http://www.ttllp.co.uk/
Also: statistician, sysadmin, online shop builder, workers co-op.