Re: Is base-config really dead? Knocks from inside the coffin lid.

On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 02:20:52PM +1030, Clytie Siddall wrote:
> (Further correspondence from Clytie, buried (sic) in the Installation
> manual, currently the boot-new file.)
>
> I noted on the Đ-I translation summary page that base-config is
> supposed to be dead.
>
> However, I've just encountered this string in boot-new (Installation
> manual):
>
> ____
> After booting, you will be prompted to complete the configuration of
> your basic system, and then to select what additional packages you
> wish to install. The application which guides you through this
> process is called <classname>base-config</classname>
> ____
>
> I thought I'd better check this.
>
> My guess would be that the separate translation file is redundant,
> because it's been integrated into the overall Đ-I Level 1 file, while
> the application survives ... but I'm not entirely sure, so it's
> better to check with Those Who Know. ;)

Umm, you are victim of recent changes in installation process. The
manual always lacks behind the real code. In reality base-config is
now part of first stage (the application itself vanished) and we will
move this documentation to the chapter using-d-i, which will happen in
January.

--
Miroslav Kure