Re: Quotation marks - commit planned for language css in webwml

I had one more look at the quotes page
http://www.witch.westfalen.de/csstest/quotes/quotes.html

what is the intention with alternative 1 and alternative 2?
What is the difference in use?
Eg for locales we have a short date and a long date version
with the distinction on the length. What is the difference here?
This would help html page authors on whether to use the one or the other.
The difference should be explained in the "quotes" page.

I woill suggest for "No language" to use:
This is a "single Quote". This is an "outer Quote containing an 'inner quote'".
That use ' inside of quotes. or is there a good reason not to distinquish?

I note in English you would normally write:
This is a "single Quote". This is an "outer Quote containing an 'inner quote.'"
Note that the full stop is within the quotes. The logic beats me, but that is how they
normally do it.

I do like the distinction "Normal/American" for English, while
it probably should be "Normal/US" - as in some parts of the Americas, namely
Canada, they probably use the normal English notation.

change corrent -> current in the top of the page.

I looked in a number of books on my bookshelves for clues on
Danish use. The most common seemed to be »«. then some used
some forms of "" with goose eyes, and some used ,, '' with
goose eyes. A remarkably high number did not use any markings.
The last group (except »«) was about evenly spread.

Coming then back to what to chose for Danish, I see that
the quotes page says that some of these quote marks do not work
in some browsers. Given that the Danish translation team uses
some form of "''" and »« and that is what is recommended by retskrivningsordbogen
and available in probably all browsers. I would recommend using that
for our page. I would recommend (dependent on the intention of use for
alt1 and alt2) that the most common be "''" in typewriter mode, as this
is what is most common for Open Source translations, and in HTML pages.

Best regards
keld