Re: Broken Debian-Installer is.po file

On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 08:40:28PM +0000, David Geirsson wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 16, 2005 at 06:46:02PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > Quoting Jens Seidel (jensseidel@users.sf.net):
> > > I noticed that there is something wrong with packages/po/is.po in d-i
> > > subversion archive.
> Fixed. msgfmt gives no errors now. Truth be told I just msgcat'ed the
> files together and committed without even checking the file. I'll
> remember to look out next time.

Ah thanks, it looks much better now. Nevertheless there is another minor
issue with this file: The quotation ,,exit" is often used and I doubt this
is wanted.

I assume you want to use German quotes (,,...''), right? It's very ugly
to use two bytes (,,) to approximate the left quotation sign. I suggest
to replace it with the proper UTF-8 character (the program gucharmap may
help you to find and insert this character).

One reason for this could be the following: Someone converted a proper
UTF-8 encoded file to latin1 (msgcat does it when requested) which may
use such funny replacements. A convertion later to UTF-8 doesn't revert
it.

Jens