Re: [D-I] Hints for timezone names translations in D-I

On Thu, Jul 28, 2005 at 07:29:19PM +0200, Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña wrote:

> - why are they so many timezones for China? Reading the Wikipedia
> (which has been useful to understand the timezones BTW) it looks like
> China has a single timezone for all the country...

Good question.  We Chinese users on #debian-zh channel were wondering
about the same thing a few days ago.

I'm not sure, but from what I heard China used to have four different
timezones (mainland China does span across 4-5 time zones after all).
There were also other changes during the past years, for example, we
used daylight saving time in the 1980s, but abandoned the idea a few
years later.  Right now, it seems we are using one timezone everywhere.

I suppose these timezones are defined in glibc.  If there is a
possibility to fix this (at least in Debian packages), I would volunteer
to collect the official data, at write a summary.  I'm afraid I can't
write any code myself though.  Is debian-i18n a good place to discuss
this, or should I write somewhere else?

Thanks,
Ming
2005.07.28