Re: line endings in Deb Inst Lev 1

Quoting Clytie Siddall (clytie@riverland.net.au):
> Hello :)
>
> I've noticed both these kinds of line-breaks in the Debian Installer
> Level 1 file:
>
> \n
>
> and

Hmmm, where (in which msgid) did you find such <br>?

> Is one or the other recommended? Even if one simply copies the original
> string's line-ending use, sometimes one needs to insert a linebreak in
> a string that doesn't have one in the msgid, because the translation is
> a bit longer.

Never ever do it. Line wrapping will be handled by the
interface. Remember that the formatting you put in PO files do not
mean anything about the wrapping which will take place.

On the other hand, when the msgid has \n's, you must keep them, at
leat in the place where they appear in the msgid.

Be aware of the strings where some size constraints exist : they
usually have a comment about a 65 characters limit.