Re: (forw) Re: @euro support with new languagechooser (was: dropping tc1)

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 05:46:25PM +0200, Christian Perrier wrote:
> (I announced a CC and forgot to really do it)
>
> ----- Forwarded message from Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org> -----
>
> Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2004 17:45:21 +0200
> From: Christian Perrier <bubulle@debian.org>
> To: debian-boot@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: @euro support with new languagechooser (was: dropping tc1)
>
> Quoting Steve Langasek (vorlon@debian.org):
>
> (comparing fr_FR and fr_FR@euro...and more generally all @euro
> variants of locales)
>
> > So there's no difference in the actual charset that each is pointed to,
> > the only difference is in a comment about the charset?
>
> Yes, as far as I understand. fr_FR@euro only uses
>
> copy "fr_FR"
>
> everywhere....

But generated locales differ because different encodings are passed to
localedef:
  $ LANG=fr_FR locale charmap
  ISO-8859-1
  $ LANG=fr_FR@euro locale charmap
  ISO-8859-15

Steve mentions in another message that switching fr_FR encoding to
ISO-8859-15 cannot be done without discussion, but glibc upstream
has a definitive position: encodings are never changed, period.
(It recently surfaces again about et_EE)
So this discussion is over before it begins ;)

Denis