Re: lists.debian.org de-localization

Hi,

From: Marco d'Itri <md@Linux.IT>
Subject: Re: lists.debian.org de-localization
Date: Mon, 6 Jan 2003 13:34:17 +0100

>  >Again, speaking about lists.debian.org, my original idea is to assume
>  >all 8bit raw characters to be ISO-8859-1, though I don't know this is
>  >technically possible or not.
> This is not needed, only spammers put raw latin-1 characters in mail
> headers.

The key point is that when we receive a mail with raw 8bit characters,
we don't have an easy and relyable method to tell the characters are
from ISO-8859-1 or KOI8-R or other character sets.

Anyway, in debian-russian mailing list, raw 8bit characters in mail
headers should be allowed and they should be assumed to be KOI8-R
on building lists.debian.org pages.

In any cases, using raw 8bit characters in lists.debian.org pages
must be avoided (so that the pages are not broken), and thus, raw
8bit characters in mail headers must be converted into something
(or must be deleted).

An easy way is to assume *all* raw 8bit characters to be KOI8-R and
convert into SGML entity.  However, I don't know whether there are
some other languages where a certain amount of non-spammer people
use raw 8bit characters.  If they exist, they will complain on this
idea.

---
Tomohiro KUBOTA <kubota@debian.org>
http://www.debian.or.jp/~kubota/