A utf-8 test (was Problem with iso8859 on xterm/with man(1))

On Sat, May 19, 2001, Edmund GRIMLEY EVANS <edmundo@rano.org> wrote:

> > However, that's still not quite OK, as mutt now still doesn't
> > show mime messages that with ISO-8859-1 coding correctly:(.
>
> It should do. Mutt works very well in a UTF-8 xterm for me.

I was very glad to see you're a Debian user (been following linux-utf
for some time now). Is your patched mutt in
    http://www.rano.org/mutt.html
related to the Debian packaged one?

> > > a move to ISO-8859-15
> >
> > What's wrong with UTF-8? (I just don't know anything about this all,
> > but hear that UTF-8 is `the best').
>
> UTF-8 is definitely the best, because it allows all characters to be
> represented in the same coded character set, however, many programs
> have hardwired assumptions about 1 byte = 1 character = 1 screen cell
> so those programs won't work properly in UTF-8.

I quite agree, and I think that we ordinary users and not only 'gurus'
should start using UTF-8 but, then again, not in production machines
(or not all the time, the whole system).
My short-term (very short-term, euro is here) plan: default ISO-8859-15,
experimental alter-ego UTF-8.
It's grand to see an xterm showing Greek, Russian, Japanese, mathematical
symbols...

A small mutt (editor: yudit) test follows. Locale: en_US.UTF-8.
--
jr <jrfern@bigfoot.com>
GnuPG (www.gnupg.org) key available at your nearest wwwkeys server