Re: [debian-devel:11591] locale-*

Hi.

I read that new libc6-2.1.3 is not compatible to 2.1.2
in the format of locale-database, and it may cause the problem
with locale-ja package. I don't know if locale-ko, locale-vi,
and locale-zh do have the same problem, but I think it is worth
to inform the possibility on this list.

 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%

Since libc6-2.1.3 has been uploaded into potato, but the corresponding
locales-2.1.3 package does not provide the locale database for ja, ko,
and zh as others. This may be the result of considering of coexist with
the existing locale-* packages (i.e. locale-ja, locale-ko, locale-vi, and
locale-zh for potato), but glibc-2.1.3 has incompatible format for locale
database to glibc-2.1.2, so we have to provide the solution to this.

The imcompatibilities are in collation data structure and LC_CTYPE/LC_TIME.

The expected solution is:

 libc6-2.1.3 provides the database for all locale, and
   we abolish the locale-* packages

    This requries:
       locales package has Conflicts/Replaces/Provides to locale-* packages,
       and provides the function of locale-* package.

Since the working for improvement of locale handling is done at
the upstream level on glibc currently, this is preferable than
to continue to provide the separate locale-* packages.

The quick action is required to fix this before potato release.

--
  Taketoshi Sano: <sano@debian.org>,<sano@debian.or.jp>,<kgh12351@nifty.ne.jp>