Re: Is there / should there be a default locale setting on Debian systems ?

Hi,

> On Wed, Jan 26, 2000 at 10:46:47PM +0100, Sebastian Leske wrote:
> > 2) There is no place to put a systemwide environment var setting that should
> >    be available to *all* applications
> > If you put a setting into /etc/profile , it will only be read by login shells
> > starting up, not e.g. by X programs. For those, it needs to be put into
> > /etc/X11/Xsession.
> A long time ago I've patched xdm (locally) to read /etc/environment.
> I think that I even mailed the patch to debian-devel/devel-policy but
> it was never set into the policy.

As I mentioned in my mail, on my system (slink) /etc/environment is
already sourced by the Xsession file (by default, I didn't do that).
I don't know whether that Xsession file comes from x-base, from
xdm, kdm or whatever package, but it's somewhere.
So your proposal HAS been incorporated into slink.

It's not in the policy, that's true. I think it would be a good idea to
put it there, so all graphical logins & shells comply, but how do
you go about that?

Sebastian Leske

Please CC me on all replies. I can't subscribe because I have a quota
on my Incoming folder (600k...).