Re: Installing on extended partition

Parodper, le jeu. 19 août 2021 18:28:19 +0200, a ecrit:
> O 19/08/21 ás 17:03, Samuel Thibault escribiu:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Parodper, le jeu. 19 août 2021 16:58:26 +0200, a ecrit:
> > > I am trying to install the 2021 ISO on a computer with multiple OS already
> > > installed (IDE 150GB HDD),
> >
> > Note that as our FAQ says, our current IDE driver is limited to LBA28,
> > i.e. 128GB. It cannot access beyond that limit on the disk.
>
> The first problem also appears on 10GB qemu images, so I don't think that
> matters there.

Please be very precise in explaining your problem, I couldn't reproduce
it in qemu. I tried in the debian installer:

- booted with a 10G disk
- use manual partitioning
- have it create a partition table
- create a 1G primary partition (assigned automatically for /)
- create a 1G primary partition (assigned automatically for /home)
- create a 1G primary partition (assigned automatically for /usr)
- create a logical partition with the rest (assigned automatically for /var)

and it proceeded just fine.

Remember that the devil is always in the details.

> In the second problem the debian-hurd.iso partition is at
> ~70GB offset, so I don't think that might be the cause.

If the partition *ends* before the 128GB limit, it should be fine yes.

> As an aside note, I was testing that second problem on QEMU, and in the
> emulator I didn't have to call MAKEDEV to load the image from the partition.
> Any idea about that?

I don't understand what you mean, please be more precise.

Samuel